Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Portuguese Sagres


The "old boatyard" now in its new location at Pier 66 Maritime.



Yesterday, Amarides and I decided to walk over to the West Side and enjoy the sun. After walking along the Hudson, and upon our failed attempt to explore the now regulated and line bearing Highline, we decided to go for a pitcher of Sangria and snacks on the Historic Lightship The Frying Pan.





While sitting out on the bow on the ship, we were fortunate enough to get to see this amazing Sagres ship, sailing by and large.



Thanks to my buddy Mark, a former US Navy Seaman, who I sent the above photo to, I now know that this was the Portuguese Navy Sail Training Ship Sagres. He also sent me this blog link that also had a write up about the ship's docking in the New York Passenger Ship Terminal over the Holiday weekend. Pretty sweet.


The Pioneer Schooner



Coincidentally, my friend Veronica was also over on the West Side with her friends. It's not often that you run into a friend on an old Civil War ship.

I miss being out on a sailboat and getting to see all these incredible historic ships. Hmmm....maybe I should see where Captain Lee is and what he's up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment