Friday, February 19, 2010

I am soooo excited about this!


Gayngs watercolor by Michael Gaughan

Last Summer when I was on one of my many Minneapolis adventures, my buddy Adam from Solid Gold played me a few initial recordings from the newest project GAYNGS, that he, Zachy and their good friend, Ryan Olson were working on.

Needless to say, I felt instantly seduced and blown away. The 70s hazy ghetto "do me" style rhythms and sultry vocals lured me in and made me feel like I was beamed into a funky retro time warp. Somewhat reminiscent to the time when a few of us spent a wondrous afternoon out at the edge of Prospect Park listening to cellphone tunes and laying in the grass all afternoon, these songs are the epitome of the that kind of Summer afternoon day.

After hearing update snippets throughout the year and learning about the addition of several other incredible musician friends of ours contributing to the project as well, (including Shon from SG & Death Cube and Grant & Maggie from Lookbook), I was so excited to see the City Pages write up about the GAYNGS album release!

It's no wonder the album is called Relayted because there must be some kind of familial protein in the water of the small town Western woods of Wisconsin that seemingly keeps producing such off-the-hook-all-kinds-of-epic-talent.

Keep your eyes and ears peeled for the digital album set to debut May 11th and for the CD and Vinyl relase party May 14th at First Avenue, MPLS.

No comments:

Post a Comment